Snort mailing list archives

Re: The detect function

From: Shimrit Tzur <shimritd () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:57:21 +0200

I can see now that I'm getting into the ifdef GRE in the function and this
is the reason that it returns.
Can someone explain me why? what is this gre? the input contains http or
tcp packets.
Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Shimrit Tzur <shimritd () gmail com> wrote:

Hello all,
I know Snort for a while but new in developing it.
I'm trying to trace the function flow of a standard http packet.
I notice that in the detect function of (detect.c) there is a switch-case
statement on "p->outer_family" where the options are AF_INET and AF_INET6.
In my case the value is 0 so the program goes to the default option which
simply returns so the fpEvalPacket isn't called.

My question is what is the meaning of this outer_family field of the
packet and why it is 0?

Thanks a lot,
Shimrit