Snort mailing list archives

The detect function

From: Shimrit Tzur <shimritd () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:39:31 +0200

Hello all,
I know Snort for a while but new in developing it.
I'm trying to trace the function flow of a standard http packet.
I notice that in the detect function of (detect.c) there is a switch-case
statement on "p->outer_family" where the options are AF_INET and AF_INET6.
In my case the value is 0 so the program goes to the default option which
simply returns so the fpEvalPacket isn't called.

My question is what is the meaning of this outer_family field of the packet
and why it is 0?

Thanks a lot,
Shimrit