Snort mailing list archives

Re: OS options to monitor traffic over a 1GiB and 10 GiB

From: Jaime Nebrera <jnebrera () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:31:03 +0200

   Hi Peter,
Just to confuse things further, another option:
http://www.ntop.org/pf_ring/using-pf_ring-daq-for-high-performance-110-gbit-snort-based-idsips/

   We are in charge of such development (sorry but I used my personal
email instead of work email to join this list) in collaboration with
Luca and Alfredo.

   I just sent to this list the announcement of the project and hope
very soon will be included in snort.org blog and repositories (at least
for the DAQ side).

   The project involves quite a lot of stuff, one is the improvement of
the performance at the sensor and the other is the management of a big
number of devices

   With respect to performance we focused mainly in four different
areas: porting of DAQ to latest pf_ring, enhancements in the TX path
(for IPS mode), enhancing the DAQ to make a single snort process able to
read data from multiple ethernet segments at the same time (thus being
able to exploit all hardware resources in a multi segment scenario) and
last, creation of a new forwarding mode at kernel level (kind of IDS
running as a forwarding device)

   We just made the site public and hope with some time and patiente
from your side we will be able to provide more info, like documentation
in english, community mailing list, etc

   Enjoy