Snort mailing list archives

Re: OS options to monitor traffic over a 1GiB and 10 GiB

From: "C. L. Martinez" <carlopmart () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:45:17 +0200

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Robert Vineyard <vineyard () tuffmail com> wrote:
Wow. Very impressive work.

You guys are clearly much further along with this stuff than when I last
played around with it. I can't wait to try out the new version. :-)

On a related note, do you have any recommendations on acquiring an
82599-based card (preferably one with copper ports like the X520-T2) in
the USA at a reasonable price? The cheapest one I've found so far is
$500 from Dell, but only if you buy it as part of a PowerEdge server
configuration. A la carte, the same card runs about $800.

Thanks,
Robert

Many thanks to all for your answers ... From hardware side I think I
have got all pretty clear, but my question is about SO to use: BSD or
Linux distro ... According your answers, most people use Linux distro
with PF_RING, but nobody have tried to use FreeBSD or OpenBSD to
accomplish this??

Thanks.