Snort mailing list archives

Re: Automatically block IP on firewall box from snort IDS

From: Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:45:55 +0530

Isnt Snortsam functionality already there in Barnyard2 ??

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>wrote:

Use snortsam for this http://www.snortsam.net/

Regards,
Kevin

On 18 September 2012 10:40, ML mail <mlnospam () yahoo com> wrote:

Hello,

I have a network configuration where I run snort separately on a
dedicated Linux box and have therefore another OpenBSD box which is
dedicated to the firewall task. Now because these two security tasks are
not on the same physical machine I was wondering how can I automatically
block on my OpenBSD firewall specific events which happens on my snort box?

For example, I see some brute force SSH login attemps to my network
coming from a specific external IP. Here I would like to block that
external IP on my OpenBSD firewall for let's say 1 hour. What would be the
best solution to do that?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Best,
ML