Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sensor placement with presence of web proxies

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:14:46 -0500

We have the X-Forwarded-For (etc) header logging in Snort to deal with just
this problem.

Saying that, I've seen a sensor deployed in both ways (inside the proxy and
outside the proxy) inside the proxy (client desktop side) is much preferred.

Also, saying that, make sure if your proxy does any proxying over some
strange port, make sure it's in http_inspect and HTTP_PORTS for now.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Jefferson, Shawn <