Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort.org Blog: Snort 2.9.1 beta coming soon!

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:08:48 -0400

On Jun 13, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Russ Combs wrote:

Ok, I get why stream reassembly is theoretically more efficient in a
single thread because of CPU caching, etc., but I don't understand why
packets still have to wait in line for a u2 entry to be written.  It
seems like tossing output from the main thread into an async output
thread would be pretty easy because you don't have to keep state and
everything is one-way.  For alerting, the volume is not an issue, but
as more analysts use packet tagging and now HTTP logging, the strain
on that single main thread is going to cause packet drops for some if
they're not extremely careful.  If I'm missing something, I'd be
grateful for clarification.

Agreed.  I don't think this issue has reached a point where it is on our roadmap yet, but all the extra logging could
lead to reevaluating sooner rather than later.  Thanks for your comments.

Martin,

We were just having a discussion on that this morning, so we'll keep it open.  Thanks for your input.  Let's us know
that the community is concerned as well.

Joel