Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: Matthew Jonkman <jonkman () emergingthreatspro com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:56:14 -0400

All reasonable options, but we still have the core issue, that ET will maintain many older versions back, and for other
platforms (suricata, and others to come).

So staying in sync will be an issue if VRT is the master record of the rules. So perhaps our only option is to
completely fork. But then I still don't feel we need to re-sid since the original intent will still be the same for
each signature. So the references will still apply, and I don't think we'll have collision issues as we distribute
rulesets with and without.

There are issues going either way I suppose. Will have to think it over a bit.

Matt