Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:14:05 -0400

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:39 PM, evilghost () packetmail net wrote:
On 03/18/11 19:23, Jason Brvenik wrote:
Make sense? What's missing?

Performance degradation, elimination of false positives/false negatives as the
Internet and applications evolve, etc.

If an improvement is made, and deemed and improvement, it makes sense to include
it into ET/VRT, or vice versa; remember these are community/GPL rules and not
VRT IP.

Let's refer to these as "GPL rules" to avoid confusion with the "community" set that Sourcefire was producing before
the Snort.org redesign.

There are two ET sets, open, and open-nogpl, with the open set including GPL
rules overlapping with the VRT community rules.  There are organizations which
only run ET, so inclusion of the gpl rules in the 'open' set makes sense.  For
dual-subscribers (ET & VRT) the 'open-nogpl' rules make sense.

I agree with Jason's suggestion that if ET wants to use the rules, then re sid them, using the original SID as a
reference.  Heck use reference:url,www.snort.org<whatever the link is to our documentation>;  I agree with
non-duplication of the sids.

It was decided to not change the SIDs to avoid performance degradation, lack of
continuity in the GPL rules, etc.  So, if the VRT team makes changes to the GPL
rules we'd (ET [1]) appreciate the updates.  Conversely, if we (ET [1]) make
changes we'd like to submit these to VRT as well, and come to an agreement for
the sake of uniformity.

I have an idea for that, but I am not going to volunteer it publically until I discuss it with Sourcefire internally to
make sure we can do it.  If ET would like to submit changes, I encourage them to do so.  The OSSRC was formed to deal
exactly with this issue, however, it seems as if not only the OSSRC has fallen off, but the communities that formed it
have come up with different goals.

For example, detection was supposed to be unique.  However, now, there are rules that cover the same "things" in both
rulesets.  OSSRC was there to manage duplication of this kind of thing and the transition of rules from the ET ruleset
over to VRT.  It's obvious to me that isn't going to happen anymore.  Ref: ETPRO.

[1] I should say I am a ET community participant only and have no profit to
derive from my participation.  I'm actually speaking presumptuously for ET, but
I think there's a desire in cooperation between both organizations.  Just
bringing you up to speed.

The Snort community is a big world.  Getting a lot bigger recently (I've seen registration and traffic increase).
Input from all forms is good.

--
Joel Esler
jesler () sourcefire.com