Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort populates Mysql a lot

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:06:38 -0500

119 is a generator ID
19 is the SID.

119 || 19 || http_inspect: LONG HEADER

http://www.snort.org/search/sid/119-19?r=1

Joel

On Dec 23, 2010, at 1:55 PM, J. L. Cabral wrote:

For example, I have several alerts from:

SID 119-19

This means that is SID: 119 Rev: 19 or what ???

Because I can't see any alert in /rules with this syntax.....

Thanks a lot

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Gregory Zill <gregory () r3g net> wrote:

I haven't used BASE too recently in favor of SnortReport. I currently have a count of 1,348,605 events in the mysql
database and report appears rather quickly. I found an index create script that provided much quicker response. I
will leave the performance notes and the index script for you to view.

-----------------------8<---------------------------------------------------------

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/e/Server_parameters.html for general server tuning tips

-- These 4 make an enormous difference as they improve several of the joins used in *every* query in alerts.php
CREATE INDEX ip_cid ON iphdr (cid);
CREATE INDEX udp_cid ON udphdr (cid);
CREATE INDEX tcp_cid ON tcphdr (cid);
CREATE INDEX icmp_cid ON icmphdr (cid);

-- More improvements by using cid indexes:
CREATE INDEX event_cid ON event (cid);
CREATE INDEX data_cid ON data (cid);

-- This one makes the two alert using queries using an index instead of a scan.
CREATE INDEX time_sig ON event (timestamp, signature, cid);

Message: 6