Snort mailing list archives

Re: msg update for these, please?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:55:48 -0400

On 9/28/2010 14:38, Alex Kirk wrote:

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

    On 9/28/2010 14:00, Alex Kirk wrote:
     > Actually, they both look for PE files headed towards a client - the first
    looks
     > for the PE signature itself coming down, the second for a request for a .exe.

    hey, alex, thanks... i was looking at the flow:to_client and flow:to_server
    aspect of them ;)

    dn? 15306 $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any flow:to_client
    up? 16425 $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS flow:to_server

Not sure what you're asking here.

well, i wasn't really asking anything... i was pointing out what i see in the
rule... one's a download from a server to the client and the other is an upload
from the client to a server... actually, "server" may be a misnomer here but
that could be semantics, too...

Yes, SID 15306 is for data traveling "down" to the client,

yes, that's my take on it, too...

16425 looks at a packet coming "up" from the client -

yes, so the client is uploading a file... possibly a game or self-extracting
binary to a file distribution channel like on the original BBS' where users
uploaded and downloaded lottsa files all day long ;)

which will then trigger data coming back "down" from the server that you may
not want.

hunh? where do you see that in 1:16425? it would be the job of /other/ rules to
detect that, wouldn't it? ;)

in any case, i really do think it best that the one to the client denotes that
and the one to the server denotes that as well... no matter what else may happen
after it gets where it is going :)  i do try to adhere to the KISS principle and
go with the most simple choice when i can instead of over-engineering things ;) :P

     > Duplicate messages are generally no fun, though, so how about making the
    second
     > one "WEB-CLIENT Portable Executable binary file transfer - .exe in URI"?

    that might work but see above... ;)

     > On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
    <mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>