Snort mailing list archives

Re: utoh... 2.8.6.1 is out but what about the rules files??

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:30:04 -0400

On 7/26/2010 07:14, Joel Esler wrote:
On Jul 25, 2010, at 11:53 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:
that's probably a good guess... however, as we can see, it causes problems and,
ideally, i current copy of the latest registered user rules for that version
should be created so that this kind of thing doesn't happen and "we", inclusive,
don't get flooded with complaints like this ;)

We did that as a one time thing when 2.8.6.0 came out to get people to upgrade.
We can't be giving the subscribers rules out early to registered users every
time we upgrade.

we're missing something... i'm not asking for subscribers rules to be given out
early... i'm saying that there should be a link or a real file that points to
the existing registered users rules when the new version of snort is released...

ie: "RU" means registered user...
when 2.8.5.3 was current...
2.8.5.3RU -> snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz
then 2.8.6.0 was released so...
2.8.6.0RU -> ln -s snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz snortrules-snapshot.2860.tar.gz
then, when the real archive file is created for 2.8.6.0 registered users, the
link is removed and replaced with the real file...

if you don't like softlinks, then copy the real archive file to the new name...
the result is the same... if i install 2.8.6.1 on a brand new system today, as a
registered user, i cannot get any rules based on your published methodology...
why? because i'd be looking for snortrules-snapshot-2861.tar.gz which doesn't
yet exist... so you're saying to me that i can't run snort for at least 30 days
until the rules pack for 2861 is available... that's not right and i don't think
that's what you are intending to say ;)

these links to older versions should be no problem either and those older
versions' archives really should remain available for those who have to
reinstall their environments and get operational before they can start applying
their updates...

[TRIM]

FWIW: these two formats are the ones that i've complained about not being
depicted in the blog and other places where the two new format examples are
given... i can only assume that one of those examples, the one with 2.8.6 as the
version, were given so as to demonstrate the trailing zero padding necessary...
but none of them discuss or show that the oinkmaster users need not change
anything... in fact, several posts alert oinkmaster users to make changes that
won't/don't work :?

We've put out corrected information.

thanks... i'll go hunt it down and see how it reads now ;)