Snort mailing list archives

Re: utoh... 2.8.6.1 is out but what about the rules files??

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:37:56 -0400

On 7/25/2010 14:39, Nigel Houghton wrote:
You're still not telling us what's not working. Which link are you
attempting to use? Are you trying to download Registered or Subscriber
rule packs?

my bad... i can't get to the data right now but IIRC, it was the registered user
rules... let me see if i can get that data and find out some more information...
it may very well be more ongoing confusing with the new url formats...

i've had several folk go in and monkey around trying to fix the url used on
their own... these are the ones fed to oinkmaster and they wanted to convert
them to the new format that you guys have posted in numerous places so that
their rules updates would continue to work... *I* know this url format doesn't
work with oinkmaster and am doing my best to spread the word that oinkmaster
users should still use the old oinkmaster formats... sadly, though, none of the
vrt postings about this show the old format with the emphasis that it is only
for oinkmaster users... everything shows two versions of the new format and
those two only differ in the version numbers shown...

the ones they should be using for snort 2.8.6.1 with oinkmaster are

http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*OINKCODE*/snortrules-snapshot-2861.tar.gz

OR (for paying vrt subscribers)

http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*OINKCODE*/snortrules-snapshot-2861_s.tar.gz

speaking of which, can you say if the above old oinkmaster format with the "_s"
after the version number still works? i have no way to test it (currently) and
have not found anyone who it s paying vrt subscriber that uses our environment
who is willing to test this code... i'm sure they'll start popping out of the
woodwork when it is released and fails, though :? :(