Snort mailing list archives

Re: Oinkmaster can t get rules

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:30:26 -0400

On 7/25/2010 23:55, Jun Wan wrote:
Hi, I am unable to update the rules via Oinkmaster (it was okay before), My
snort (2.8.5.3) is running on my Windows XP, I am getting an error: 404
forbidden message, please see the attached info.

i don't know if this will help but, instead of using the "don't check the
certificate" option, i'd be looking to get a version of wget that has ssl
compatibility compiled in it... either that, or if your oinkmaster is using
internal libraries, instead of external apps like wget, then you must also make
sure that the necessary perl libs are in place so that oinkmaster can load and
use them...

I will use Pulled Pork in the near future, but now I would like to fix this
issue with rules update&Oinkmaster.

something else to be aware of is that the cloud servers may issue 500, 404, or
the 403 actually carried a reliable message but now just spits out a "forbidden"
response... things used to be much nicer and easier to deal with some 2 or 3
months ago before all these recent changes went into effect... at this point, i
can only attribute these problems to "growing pains" ;)