Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule efficiency

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:00:47 -0400

On 7/23/2010 13:38, Isherwood, Jeffrey - IS wrote:
I’m on the lookout for some traffic to several domains that I have been asked to
monitor… and I’m wondering which is more efficient, several rules that each only
look for a domain name – or one rule that looks for many domain names at once?

Currently I’m doing the one at a time method, but the list of domains I need to
monitor just quadrupled and I am unsure which would be more efficient…

multiple rules are more efficient... rules with regex is not as efficient...

there are times, however, where one might decide to go with the regex for
numerous reasons... rule maintainability being one of those...