Snort mailing list archives

Re: Homebrew unified2 processing vs barnyard2

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:22:50 -0400

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM, K D <korodev () gmail com> wrote:
True, I suppose I'm wondering if barnyard2's performance leaves much to be
desired in the snort community. I haven't seen any major complaints, and
would imagine it's not the source of any major bottlenecks (as opposed to
the actual database). I'd be interested to see what the Sguil guys would
have to say about their experience and decisions regarding barnyard2 for
their project.

I Can't talk for sguil guys, but as of PostgreSQL being a monster it self
there is a few things you have to consider.

1. The hardware hosting the database
2a. The schema your using (acid might not be your best friend)
2b. The amount of data your processing
3a. The kind of index you have
3b. The type query you make to your database
4. The way you archive your data.

PostgreSQL evolved alot from 7.x to 8.ishes, thus alot of the manual
tunning are gone, eventho there is still a few things that
can influence its performance, the way you store and query the dats
would be the true bottleneck.

Though I plan to stick with Postgresql for now, has there been any thought
or research in NSM events (snort, sancp, etc) being stored in the trendier
schema-less databases or a hybrid unified2 flat file and rdbms setup?
\\korodev

-elz