Snort mailing list archives

Re: Homebrew unified2 processing vs barnyard2

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:33:14 -0400

I used barnyard2 recently in a customer consulting engagement and it worked perfectly on Unified2.

Joel

On Jul 19, 2010, at 2:24 PM, K D wrote:

Having spent a good amount of time away from snort and trying to get back into the swing of things, I was wondering
what the current consensus was on barnyard vs homebrew unified2 parsing. Previously, I was doing unified parsing via
a homebrew application, but looking forward, it seems like barnyard2 is the popular, stable, and standard app for the
job. Anyone willing to persuade me otherwise?

Also, are you guys using any perl or python (preferred) libraries for unified2 file access? If so, what role do these
play in your current configuration and how are they used in conjunction with or instead of barnyard?