Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update 2010-03-17

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:17:43 -0500

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 00:18 -0500, Will Metcalf wrote:
Some of these apply to client-side and some are more general, it is
just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

1. If your environment permits, don't allow normal users to download
executable content from non-trusted sites [...]

2. Don't allow your users to have administrative access to their
workstations. [...]

3. Deploy some sort of HIPS product, [...]

I would add:

4) Run an executable white-listing driver on your Window machine.

I think it's clear now that on Windows machines, you really have to
resort to these measures to keep them clean :)

Cheers,
Frank