Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update2010-03-17

From: Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:45:57 -0400

Well, this has been an entertaining read.  I was teaching yesterday or I
would have chimed in earlier.  Some points:

1)  There isn't any snake-oil here.  This isn't functionality we have had in
the past, but we've also been honest about not having it.  The addition was
this feature wasn't there.  If you want to be angry that we didn't have
this, that's fine.  But if you want to be correct, don't accuse us of
deception over it.  That isn't accurate.

B)  Will, Ghost, I (personally) don't give a flying crap whether you post
pro- or anti- Sourcefire stuff here, as long as you are correct about what
you say.  I watch this list every day and add bugs as I see things that need
to be fixed.  As long as you aren't directly attacking somebody or outright
lying, I got the Nomex underwear I need to handle it.  Marketing might
disagree, but they can get their own list.  We're going to be wrong about
things, as long as you let us know, we'll try and make it right.

3)  On that, Ghost, if you have issues with the VRT subscription, you can
email me directly, the VRT (research () sourcefire com) as a whole or you can
post here.

I think it is fair to say that, more than any other vendor you are going to
find, Sourcefire thrives on feedback.  If you have something to say, then
say it.  I can't promise it will be fixed, now or ever, but I'll promise you
that it will be seen by the developers (who watch this and the snort-dev
list) and if I don't see a bug go in for something that needs it, I'll put
it in myself.  That doesn't mean it will be fixed soon or ever, but someone
will have to justify not addressing it.

So, flame on, I got my Nomex undies on and a bugzilla window open.

Matt