Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort RulesUpdate2010-03-17

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:58:07 -0500

Judging from Joel's response evidently Mike is spot-on, which just
caused my jaw to drop.  Are you serious?  You seriously didn't support
gzip encoded data until 2.8.6?  I'm really trying to refrain from using
profanity here.  The deeper and deeper the community digs the more and
more Sourcefire gets exposed as the snake-oil salesmen they really are.

I'm sure that statement will ruffle your feathers but take a step back.
How the heck can you claim to protect this, lead this, #1 this, look the
security community in the eye and peddle your product, and not handle
HTTP/1.1 gzip encoding?!? (look, you even caused me to use excessive
punctuation)

That's fscking pathetic.  Modern HTTPDs don't seem to have issues
managing gzip encoding.  "Processing power" being the excuse for not
implementing this is equally as pathetic.  I really hope Joel is wrong here.

I'm sure some of you SF guys are gnashing your teeth and shaking your
fists but take a step back and think about this.  Not supporting gzip
encoding?  Seriously?  Since I've grown acustom to the dangling carrots
which tend to rot how about a new feature in the upcoming "Wiki" titled
"Glaring Limitations You Should Be Aware Of".  We'll add SMP support,
gzip encoding (pre 2.8.6), and more.

Label me as a troll if you wish but when your bridge is made out of
straw it's pretty easy to get eaten.  Be sure to tell me you're an Open
Source/Community friendly solution too.  I'm not sure who I really need
to protect my network from, Sourcefire or the attackers.

-evilghost

Joel Esler wrote:
This is a difficult thing to do, as it requires some good processing
power to be able to do this.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:41 PM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com