Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update 2010-03-17

From: Seth Art <sethsec () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:39:56 +0000

I wanted to test how snort alerts on CVE-2010-0188, the Adobe Reader
vulnerability fixed in version 9.3.1 that is purportedly covered by
SID 16490.

I fired up metasploit, crafted a malicious pdf using
(exploit/windows/fileformat/adobe_libtiff), copied it over to my WinXP
vm host and double clicked. Box was owned but no sign of SID 16490
triggering.   The only sig that did fire was: "SHELLCODE x86 inc ecx
NOOP".  Certainly good, but a big FP sig.

Looks to me that GID:1,SID:16490 (SPECIFIC-THREATS Adobe Reader
malformed TIFF remote code execution attempt) relies on
"flowbits:isset,http.pdf" which is set by GID:1,SID:15013 (WEB-MISC
Adobe Portable Document Format file download attempt).

Is that correct?

So now I am trying to figure out if there is a problem with the rule,
or a problem with my config.  Here are some thoughts:

1) sid:15013 will only set the flowbit if I download the PDF from a
webserver (alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS).
What if the malicious pdf is sent via email -- or another method?
16490 will never even run because the flowbit is not set.   Right?

2) From sid:16490, I gather that it will only trigger if the malicious
PDF communicates with an external webserver on an HTTP_PORT and the
exploit is then sent from that server (alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET
$HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any -- flow to server).  Is that correct?
What if the malicious PDF is configured to communicate on a non
HTTP_PORT with the malicious webserver.

This brings me to a question.   What are most of you doing for
443/tcp.  Do you include it in your HTTP_PORTS variable or not?   By
default I believe it is NOT included.   Wouldn't this mean that
another really easy way to avoid detection of this particular
vulnerability being exploited would be to have your malicious pdf
connect to port 443 instead of 80 outbound?  (In metasploit, setting
LPORT to anything aside from 80?)

If SID:16490 *should* be detecting an outbound connection on port 80
to a webserver in my external net... maybe I have something else
misconfigured ( I certainly do not want to rule that out).  Either
way, it appears that SID:16490 only detects one potential attack
vector of this vulnerability, not all of them.  Right?  Can we broaden
the scope of this sig or add additional sigs to protect against the
additional attack vectors.

I have a pcap of the successful exploitation described in the above
scenario that was done in a vm lab environment so it doesn't need to
be sanitized.   Let me know if any of you want it.

-Seth