Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updated IP Blacklisting patch (version 2)

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:19:57 -0400

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Eoin
Miller<eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com> wrote:
Looks like the gotos actually end up using slightly more processing time
for some reason? These two processes were started within a second of
each other. The iplist with goto's ends up using slightly more time
after running for a few hours:

%CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND

 54  3.6  58:09.50 snort -c /etc/snort/snort-goto-yes.conf -l
/root/goto-yes/log/ -A fast
 26  3.6  54:21.04 snort -c /etc/snort/snort-goto-no.conf -l
/root/goto-no/log/ -A fast

Performance graphs are pretty similiar, there was a bit of a spike in
the version that is NOT using the goto's at one point. But overall the
non-goto version appears to be more streamlined ever so slightly:

http://trojanedbinaries.com/security/snort/cpu-goto-vs-original.png

Color Lines = goto version
Black Lines = without goto's

Not exactly what I was expecting. Also, since we are not using the
whitelisting functionality I can't say that there isn't an increase in
performance in that aspect, I would expect there to be one.

Great data, thanks for that.

What are the specs of the box you're running this on?  You're seeing
~450Mbps of sustained traffic on the link?

Marty