Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updated IP Blacklisting patch (version 2)

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:58:08 -0400

Martin Roesch wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Eoin
Miller<eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com> wrote:> Marty,

After the update to the code, there was an 15% or so up-tick in system
processor utilization which is leading to exceptionally mild increase in
packet loss. Not really a surprise since when SnortEventqAdd is called,
it now does two lookups to find the number of the list and then the
number of the list again to refrence the name:

SnortEventqAdd(GENERATOR_SPP_IPLIST, (int)pn->data, 1, 0, 0,
list_names[(int)pn->data], 0);

So to try and streamline this a bit more, I added a new int inside of
IpListEval:

void IpListEval(Packet *p, void *conext)
{
int foo;

Then inside of the if(blacklist_detect) we grab (int)pn->data once and
then save it as foo and just use foo when calling SnortEventqAdd:

       if(blacklist_detect)
       {
           if(!noalerts)
               foo = (int)pn->data;
               SnortEventqAdd(GENERATOR_SPP_IPLIST, foo, 1, 0, 0,
                              list_names[foo], 0);

This drops the system processor utilization back down by about 10% or so
and completely stops the packet loss we were experiencing. Some links to
gnuplot graphs based off the snort.stats file are included below to
support this are below:

http://trojanedbinaries.com/security/snort/cpu.png
http://trojanedbinaries.com/security/snort/dropped.png

Wow, 15%!  That's a heck of a lot of overhead for a single added
pointer dereference.  Is that 15% greater than what Snort was using
before or 15% of total system CPU?  I took a little closer look at the
function and made a couple changes.  Not sure of the performance
impact but evaluating the whitelist and bailing on a whitelist detect
before evaluating the blacklist should result in some savings.  Let me
post the updated function:

But goto's are Bad so we'd never do that... :)

Marty

Yeaup, that was 15% more total utilization for that core. Snort was
using ~35% of a core to monitor ~450Mbit/s of traffic. After adding the
second pointer dereference it was using ~50% of a core to monitor the
same amount of traffic. FYI, this test snort instance has no rules
loaded and is using Phil Wood's MMAP'd libpcap with a 1GigaByte buffer
of system RAM.

If you look at the cpu.png file
(http://trojanedbinaries.com/security/snort/cpu.png) you can see the
spike in the green line (system%) and the dip in the blue line (idle%) @
16:00. That was when snort was relaunched with the double pointer
derefrence in the call to the SnortEventqAdd function:

SnortEventqAdd(GENERATOR_SPP_IPLIST, (int)pn->data, 1, 0, 0,
list_names[(int)pn->data], 0);

But if you notice the dip in the green line and rise in the blue line
from 16:40-16:50, that was when I was running recompiled with the single
derefrence:

foo = (int)pn->data;
SnortEventqAdd(GENERATOR_SPP_IPLIST, foo, 1, 0, 0, list_names[foo], 0);

Tried your new first function you posted and the results appear the
same. Good deal less processor utilization and no more packet loss and
your new function makes more sense for those using the whitelisting
functionality. Tried to use the fancy free way with the goto's, but gcc
got all whiny about something.

--
Eoin Miller