Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rules false positive stats

From: CunningPike <cunningpike () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:54:14 -0700

I have often thought it would be great if sguil had a category for false
positives from which a report could then be generated...

CP

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com> wrote:

A human has to define a false positive in most cases, so keeping stats
on them is pretty man-hours intensive. Thus not generally compiled.

One thing we're doing at emerging threats along that line is
SidReporter. We're collecting stats anonymously and automated on the
rules that are hitting. Several goals: rule confidence. be able to say
this rule is hitting frequently in many places and appears to be
valuable. Trending, we're seeing a huge increase in an old malware
strain, scanning for certain services, etc. Finally rule obsolescence.
Especially in malware and trojan stuff. If we've not seen a hit on a
particular rule for an old strain in say 6 months we can then look at
obsoleting the rule.

More on the tool is here:
http://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SidReporter

Stats are anonymous and pgp encrypted in transit. Please consider
reporting stats to the tool. We need to increase the sample base before
we begin publishing results and tuning the ET ruleset.

Matt

snort user wrote:
Greetings.

Does anyone maintain statistics of false positive rates for the snort
rules,
i.e. VRT or community or bleeding edge versions?

Any information on these lines is much appreciated.

Thanks !

--
Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats