Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Triggered Shun on Cisco ASA

From: Steven King <sking () kingrst com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:05:40 -0400

Would the script be fast enough to respond to an attack? SSH on the
ASA's is fairly slow due to the back plane taking a back seat to passing
traffic. Seems that attackers might be able to at least get some
information before the script could complete its task.

Daniel, Akos wrote:
Hi,

My idea would be, but never tested (only the automatic ssh with cisco firewalls):

1. Snort alerts should be human readable, like syslog.
2. Use 'watch' on syslog.
3. Run a ssh perl script with predefined cli commands (script will log in and issue the commands) + mail perl script
for you (script will send a message for you what it did).

In inline mode, can you block with snort as well.

Regards,
Akos