Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Triggered Shun on Cisco ASA

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:33:53 -0400

Inline

--
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2009, at 4:47 AM, Steven King <sking () kingrst com> wrote:

Has anyone configured Snort to trigger a shun command on a Cisco ASA
device in an Inline IPS configuration or with NIDS?

Snort is a nids and an ips by itself without interacting with an Asa
box. We call this "inline" mode.    As for being able to shun from
snort, as far as I know, you can't do that.  There is a patch for
Snort called "snortsam" that enables Snort to interact with other
appliances, however, I don't know if it has "Asa" capability. I know
it used to have pix.  I also don't know how recently it was updated.

If so, could you please point me in the right direction to possibly
implement this? How effective is this setup?

Depends on what you are trying to do. Explain that first.

Thanks!

--
Steve King

Network Engineer - Liquid Web, Inc.