Snort mailing list archives

Re: DOS attacks

From: "Lurene A Grenier" <lurene.grenier () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:26:29 -0400

Nessus doesn't actually exploit any vulnerabilities; it only checks banners
and parses out the versions to determine if it thinks you're vulnerable to
something.   As such, it's not doing anything actually malicious and its
activity shouldn't be detected in most cases.

Snort rules will generally only detect actual attacks as they focus on
detecting triggering conditions necessary to actually exploiting the
vulnerability in question.

Lurene A Grenier,

Analyst Team Lead

Senior Research Engineer