Snort mailing list archives

Re: DOS attacks

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:18:40 -0400

I should have also mentioned the sfportscan preprocessor which will
detect distributed portscans.

Todd Wease wrote:
Hi Kamran,

Land attack is detected in the Snort decoder and teardrop is detected in
the frag3 preprocessor.  There is also a rule set called dos.rules that
you can try.  Snort does not detect flooding DoS attacks such as UDP
flood or TCP SYN flood because the resources required to track these
would in effect DoS Snort.  Snort typically starts tracking a session
after it has seen a server response (such as a SYN/ACK).

Not sure about the Nessus scan, but it could depend on your Snort
configuration and rule set.

Todd

Kamran Shafi wrote:
P.S.
Is there a specific preprocessor to handle DOS attacks in Snort or it is
only done through the Snort rules? In specific, I couldn't find any
rules for flooding DOS attacks and the classical DOS attacks like land
and teardrop. Do I have to write my own rules to cater for these types
of attacks?

Further, I am conducting a full Nessus scan but Snort is only reporting
very few alerts (20 odd). Is it normal?

--
Regards
Kam