Snort mailing list archives

Re: MS-SQL Probe when listening to streaming radio! ???

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:58:07 -0600

Here's what that rule is looking for:

On any port of any host designated as a SQL SERVER (in the var in your snort.conf file)

content:"|05|"; depth:1; byte_test:2,>,512,1; content:"|3B|"; distance:0; isdataat:512,relative; content:!"|3B|"; within:512;

Which translates to:

Enqueue followed by ";" between 2 and 512 bytes later followed by another ";" within 512 bytes of the previous one with data in between the semicolons. Engueuing is the process of putting items in a queue, which is frequently used in databases.

Can you post the payload?

If you have sql servers on your network, you should define them in the SQL_SERVERS var in snort.conf. That will eliminate useless alerts like this one.