Snort mailing list archives

TRACE disable problem with AIX

From: ian acces <ian () acces co jp>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:51:31 +0900

Following a number of alerts for WEB-MISC TRACE attempts, I decided to
disable the TRACE command on our webservers using the mod_rewrite workaround
described by Whitehats, namely inserting:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]

in httpd.conf.

This has worked on the linux server I tested it on, returning a 403
forbidden, as I hoped, but refuses to work on an AIX 5.1 system. Mod_rewrite
is installed and enabled but TRACE requests continue to mirror the submitted
data rather than the 403 I want to see.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Regards