Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Rules Version Confusion

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:41:44 -0600

here, http://www.snort.org/dl/ I see the latest version as
snort-2.3.2.tar.gz <http://www.snort.org/dl/current/snort-2.3.2.tar.gz>
which I have installed, but, here,
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/downloads.cgi it has,
Snort 2.4 or higher is required to run CURRENT. Is it me, or is that
rather confusing..? Cheers.

Its not just you. The definitions of CURRENT (etc) has created
problems for at least a couple of years, and no one wants to take
the time to add a few words to the page to clearify it.

I quick scan of the archives will find hundreds of posts relative
to which is which.