Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort rules

From: sEc nErD <umkcguy1978 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:16:54 -0800 (PST)

I ahve a question for security admins here.

Our client performed an internal port scan using super scan on their internal network.When i say internal network i
mean private network LAN.

Our snort sensor didnt catch any of it the whole port scan and aftre doing some diggging i saw the scan.rules file and
saw that it is checking all inbound

port scans like $external any-->$Home Network

Now the client is questioning us as to why this should not be checked both ways..he is saying if it is somebody in
their network doing a port scan it will go unnoticed.

can anybody answer this?

thanks