Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install location

From: Seth Art <sethart () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:15:05 -0500

If you only care about the traffic going to the machine that snort is
running on then you don't need a hub.  If you would like snort to be
able to see the traffic to/from all the machines on your lan you need
a hub.  A switch is *smart* enough to let traffic to host A only be
seen by host A, and traffic send to host B only to be seen by host B.
This cuts down on high load networks.  But if the interface that snort
is on is C, with a router/switch the only thing that snort will see is
traffic sent C.  A hub is "dumb" however and and sends all traffic to
all ports.  A will see traffic to/from a/b/c, B will see traffic
to/from a/b/c.  But most importantly, the snort interface C will see
all traffic sent to A, B, and C.

By default A and B will ignore the traffic sent to them but addressed
to the other hosts.  But Snort will turn on promiscuous mode which
will let C accept all of A,B, and C's traffic.

That... is why you need a hub.

As far as bridging, that is something between your router/switch and
DSL modem.  If everything is working fine now without bridging adding
a hub or using snort will not affect it at all.

Lastly.  As far as conflicts with the extra interface.. Read the
thread Multi Homed Sensor

Q. How do I configure snort to listen on eth1 but report out on eth0?
A. I have mine configure with eth0 being connected to the SPAN port
(in your case this will be a hub) which is configured just as:

# ifconfig eth0 up

so has no IP address etc. I think snort will kick it into promiscuous
mode, but if not, you can manually do it by #ifconfig eth0 promisc

snort takes a command line parameter '-i eth0' to tell it which
interface to use, and eth1 is set up "as usual", with IP address,
netmask and default gateway set. Linux is clever enough to use eth1
for all communications.

cheers,
Jamie

Basically you still have some reading to do.  The more reading you do
the more all of this will make sense.  Good luck.

-Seth