Snort mailing list archives

Re: Install location

From: "Eckhardt Newger" <enewger () gmx de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:49:59 +0100

Hi Seth Art,

Thanks for your reply. So it seems feasible to use an existing
workstation for a snort installation. Fine.

All my traffic is handled by a D-Link 614+: it acts as switch for my LAN
clients, as AP for wireless LAN clients, and as router to connect to the
Internet via a separate DSL modem. So do you see any need to
additionally install a hub? Network traffic is moderate, so performance
considerations don't have to be taken into account here.

I*ve read somewhere that I might be obliged to do port brigding when
using a switch. I must confess that I'm totally unclear about this.

Finally, should I give Snort an Ethernet card on ist own to connect to
the LAN, and, if so, how to avoid conflicts with the already installed
Ethernet card used by the workstation for its normal network traffic?

Any further hints are higly welcome.

Best regards

Eckhardt Newger