Snort mailing list archives

New www.snort.org site launched

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:34:04 -0500

http://www.snort.org

I'd like to thank everyone for their support of the changes Sourcefire is making to the licensing and distribution model of Snort rules. It is truly our intent to continue to support the open source model and encourage even greater community involvement.

With that in mind, we are pleased to announce that the new snort.org web site has gone live. Based on feedback from the community, we have redesigned an enhanced site that includes new features such as user forums.

Along with this new site, the new licensing and distribution model of Snort rules is available. As of today, there will be two sets of Snort rules available on www.snort.org: (i) the Community Rules and (ii) the new Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules. Community Rules are those submitted by end users, integrators or anyone willing to distribute their rules under the GPL. The use and distribution of the new Community Rules will be governed by the GNU General Public License and will only be available on snort.org. VRT Certified Rules, on the other hand, are the official Snort Rules that have been created, tested and certified by the Sourcefire Vulnerability Research Team (VRT). The VRT Certified Rules will be distributed under a new license that restricts commercial redistribution and public dissemination.

We have published a set of VRT Certified Rules under the GPL and made them accessible to registered and subscribed users. Future releases will be governed by the new VRT Certified Rules License Agreement and will be available to Subscribers 5 days in advance of registered users. The next release is currently scheduled for Wednesday, March 9th, 2005.

As always, your questions and feedback are important to us. Please contact us at snort-feedback () sourcefire com

--
Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend.
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com