Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:35:12 -0600

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 00:24 -0500, Peter J Manis wrote:
I agree.  This is sad.  Essentially, what is happening here is taking the
open out of the opensource.

Whoooaaa.... hold your horsie... Who says what? You're falling for the
fear Michael (probably unintentionally) spread, are you? Snort will
remain open source. So do the Community rules. So do the Bleeding rules.

No one said anything about Snort going away.

 First the rules from Sourcefire, and now they
are trying to take Bleeding Snort.

uhm... they are not "taking Bleeding Snort". What we're doing is finding
a way to combine efforts to give you better rules.

 I understand if Sourcefire is upset
about a few individuals using their rules, but what business do they have
attempting to take Bleeding Snort under their control?

*sigh*   They are not.

[...blah blah...]

You're not working for a company affected by the license change by any
chance, are you?

Please, there is no reason for concern. Let's not spread FUD like ...
well, let's not go there.

-Frank