Snort mailing list archives

Re: NFS file copy vs. snort ???

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:06:46 -0400

Below.

Michael D Schleif wrote:

* Jason <security () brvenik com> [2004:09:06:10:21:39-0400] scribed:

Michael,

You open the discussion with how can I prevent Snort from interfering with an NFS copy, the simple response to that is that Snort is passive and cannot directly interfere with your copy.

<snip />

And, yet, empirically, it does just that.

I know that you think that I am an ignorant slob, and too lazy to do my
own homework.  Perhaps, you are right.  I do not see it that way -- am I
exceedingly dense, too?

I admit that I am simply annoyed with you and perplexed by why I have bothered to spend this much time with you. Perhaps I have been spending too much time around liberals. What ever the case may be, the spell checker describes it best when it suggests a replacement for Schleif.

Perhaps, I am also guilty of not presenting my question in such a manner
that you can understand me.  Please, allow me to start over.  I hope
that, now, you will see that I am not asking you to do all of my work
for me; nor that my posts are pointless.

I have a box on which I want snort running.  Normally, snort running on
this box presents no problems to me.

Under the special circumstance in which I want to copy large volumes of
data between this box [A] and another [B] via NFS, during said copy,
snort grabs an undesirable amount of system resources, and -- worse --
slows said copy to an undesirable level.  Empirically, turning snort OFF
does alleviate this specific problem; but, I do *not* want to turn snort
OFF for this special case.

NOTE: The search is "ignore traffic with snort"

http://www.google.com/search?q=ignore+traffic+with+snort

I also suggest executing man bpf

Hence, these are those questions for which I seek answers:

[1] Is it possible to configure snort to totally *ignore* all NFS
    traffic between boxes A and B?

[2] Is it possible to do [1] without snort using appreciably more system
    resources than it does other than during NFS traffic situations?

[3] If so, is that possible *WITHOUT* changing any other currently
    configured snort behaviour?

[4] If so, please, cite sources, examples, pointers, &c. that lead me
    directly to the solution to this specific problem?

If you had read the links provided you would have found these

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node5.html - Look for BPF

http://www.snort.org/docs/FAQ.txt - Look for Ignore

I do not want to argue semantics -- clearly, you are not a linguist, and
I am no snort expert.  To get lost in rhetoric and condescending
innuendo serves no positive purpose -- does it?

I own that and other books, I have scoured the archives to this list,
and I have googled.  Probably, I am too close to the forest to see
trees; but, I have not seen any resource that appears to me to lead to
the solution to my specific problem.

Kudos, now go read them. If I am not mistaken there is an index that might prove useful.

I hope that this new missive better explains my need.  I believe that my
four (4) questions are explicit, and answers to them are short and
concise.  Hopefully, I will not tax your valuable time much longer.

Well... you asked a few specific questions and hopefully have the specific answer you need.

At just this moment a bumper sticker I often chuckle at comes to mind.

Give a man fire and he will be warm for the night. Set the man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Thank you, very much for your delightful insights.  I look forward to
finding solution to my specific problem, and to extending my gratitude
to you for educating me.

My efforts at helping you teach yourself have clearly failed. This is unfortunate for both of us.

and WTF... Why didn't you say you have tried pass rules and using BPF without success in your initial mail? Perhaps you should read this [1] again so that we can meet in the ether and solve problems better in the future.

[1] - http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html