Snort mailing list archives

Re: Getting more paranoid by the minute. :-/

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste () smxy org>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:55:45 -0400

Demetri Mouratis wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

Somewhat unrelated question: Once I set this up, how much time should I
expect to have to spend on it daily?

The answer is the time required depends on a number of factors: snort
ruleset, number of hosts/nets monitored, and level of treatment given to
each incident.  You can greatly reduce the time involvement per incident
by using a nice web front end (I use acid) and database backend
(PostgreSQL) that will allow you to drill down on an incident and quickly
find out more information about the offending IP and what other nefarious
things it has done to your network.

Pending learning more about them, Acid & MySQL was what I was thinking of. I'm trying to decide if the three snort systems should have their own acid/mysql or if two should log to the database on the third, so I can have one database and one acid ... I think that comes in a later chapter. :)

Also, keep in mind that even on a well configured snort system, you may
get alerts faster than you can process them.  It will take some time for
you to get used to your own environment and filter out the noise from the
really bad stuff and then tune your ruleset and/or firewalls accordingly.
This is an ongoing process.

Ok.

        -ste