Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort is a "niche player"

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:33:51 -0500

--On Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:05:09 AM +0200 Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net> wrote:

Anyone else agree with me that these two technologies (IDS and IPS - and
let's not get into another argument about *what* IPS is, let's just
accept the marketeers term for this particular thread, eh?) will
continue to live side by side for some time to come?

Forget IPS. We're not having any problems blocking hosts using snort and our own homegrown system of access control.

The problem with Gartner is that they're ivory tower, and snort is down where the rubber meets the road. They can't see that far down.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member