Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort is a "niche player"

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:51:46 +0200

Couldn't agree more - I do a presentation entitled "IDS is Dead?" (note
the question mark!) which cites various extracts from various Gartner
reports, including:

"Intrusion detection systems are a market failure, and vendors are now
hyping intrusion prevention systems, which have also stalled"
Richard Stiennon
Research Vice President, Gartner
June 2003

"IDSs have failed to provide value relative to its costs and will be
obsolete by 2005"
Gartner
June 2003

"The PC is dead - thin is in."
   "By 2001 we will all have replaced our PCs with thin clients or
Network Computing devices."
Gartner
Circa 1998-99

That third one kills every time ;o)

I hate that they keep turning out crap like this, because they make
claims such as "IDS/IPS devices suffer from an inability to monitor
traffic at transmission rates greater than 600 megabits per second"

They base these ridiculous claims on.... Well, I am not sure what....
Hearsay? Finger in the wind? Who knows...

They CERTAINLY do not do any testing, nor do they speak to people like
us who DO do testing, since if they did, they would know that our latest
reports (www.nss.co.uk/ips and www.nss.co.uk/gigabitids) show several
devices that can go way beyond their mythical 600Mbps limit. We have
tried many times to get the likes of Gartner to work with us so they can
provide reports to their clients based on REAL testing, but they will
not have it.

As someone else on this thread said, to be taken with extremely large
amounts of sodium chloride...

Regards,

Bob Walder
Director