Snort mailing list archives

Re: Dual Processor Machines

From: Michael Stone <mstone+snort () mathom us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:08:58 -0500

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:31:01AM -0600, Jason Alexander wrote:
I've been reading the archives and it looks like Snort is not SMP aware yet so is there a good reason to purchase dual processor machines for the sensors boxes. The database and https servers will be hosted on a seperate box from the sensors so the only thing the sensor needs to do is Snort.

I have some networks where I can't keep up with traffic unless I split
it between multiple snorts. For example, one snort instance to look at
web traffic and another to look at everything else. In that case you do
use both processors.

Mike Stone