Snort mailing list archives

Dual Processor Machines

From: Jason Alexander <lists () itsecurity3 its uiowa edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:31:01 -0600

Hello,

I am in the process of putting together a proposal for our university to purchase some new snort hardware. Currently were using some spare desktop hardwares and are looking to move to faster rack mount hardware.

I've been reading the archives and it looks like Snort is not SMP aware yet so is there a good reason to purchase dual processor machines for the sensors boxes. The database and https servers will be hosted on a seperate box from the sensors so the only thing the sensor needs to do is Snort.

thanks
Jason