Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort capabilities

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:44:55 +0000

--On 24 March 2004 13:23 +0000 Marnus Marx <Marnus.Marx () m-1 co uk> wrote:

I am looking to set up a IDS system, and I am considering snort as one of
the apps... My question is this: Can snort do all of the following, and
if not, can I have some guidelines to something that might be able to:

It sounds as though you haven't understood the difference between Network IDS (NIDS) and Host IDS (HIDS). I respectfully suggest you do some reading about the differences. You might also want to look into vulnerability scanning tools such as Nessus and nmap, as well as tools such as tripwire.

Scan system for file changes (integrity check)

No.

Scan system for unexpected activety (network)

Maybe, depending on exactly what you're asking.

Scan system for unwanted users

No.

Scan sytsem for unwanted software (placed, installed or running)

No, though it will detect connections to/from network backdoors/trojans for which it has signatures.

Capture data of unwanted users for logging

If the data goes across the network, yes, otherwise no.

Capture data of unwanted software for logging

Eh?

Track source of unexpected activety and log it.

Yes, for network activity.

Track source of unwanted users and log it.

If they're coming in across an IP connection yes, otherwise no.

Block unwanted users.

snort can control a separate firewall, or can be patched to run as an inline Network Intrusion Protection System (NIPS, or simply, IPS). conceivably you could configure it to do all sorts of other things using flexresp, but you're probably thinking more in terms of HIDS.

Block and remove unwanted software.

Yes to blocking, potentially, no to removing.

Create a report of all actions taken

Oh yes. Voluminous reports. :-)

Marnus Marx

Best Regards,