Snort mailing list archives

Snort capabilities

From: Marnus Marx <Marnus.Marx () m-1 co uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:23:09 -0000

Hi All

I am looking to set up a IDS system, and I am considering snort as one of
the apps... My question is this: Can snort do all of the following, and if
not, can I have some guidelines to something that might be able to:

1

Scan system for file changes (integrity check)

2

Scan system for unexpected activety (network)

3

Scan system for unwanted users

4

Scan sytsem for unwanted software (placed, installed or running)

5

Capture data of unwanted users for logging

6

Capture data of unwanted software for logging

7

Track source of unexpected activety and log it.

8

Track source of unwanted users and log it.

9

Block unwanted users.

10

Block and remove unwanted software.

11

Create a report of all actions taken

I appretiate your time and responses.

Kind regards

Marnus Marx

Senior SIIMS Support/SA

Maintenance One Services Ltd.
2 Cofferidge Close, Stony Stratford,
Milton Keynes, Bucks MK11 1BY
Tel: +44 1908 635400 Fax: +44 1908 635477