Snort mailing list archives

Re: Repost: resp:rst_all not working

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:17:03 -0500

At 11:29 PM 3/5/2004, Venkata Raghavan wrote:
I understand from your post that snort does send a
reset but because both the hosts (SMTP server and
client) are on a LAN the reset does not happen. Am I
right.

Well, it's unlikely for a reset to work when you're on a LAN.

But my doubt is why is it not visible in a packet
capture in ethereal. The reset that was sent to the
linux client from snort is visible whereas there is no
such reset to the windows client.

Hmm.. your original post didn't make clear that no reset packet was being generated. I just thought you observed the connection surviving the reset attempt.

As a test, try removing the flow restrictions... If that fixes things for you, put them back, and use kill -USR1 to check snort for dropped packets when you try again.

Snort might be missing part of the handshake when watching your windows machine connect. The theory here is that the windows box might be turning around the syn/syn-ack/ack handshake faster than the linux box.

Am I missing something fundamental.