Snort mailing list archives

Re: Repost: resp:rst_all not working

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:42:52 -0500

At 04:00 AM 3/5/2004, Venkata Raghavan wrote:
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg:"SMTP Rule Testing"; flow:to_server,established; content:"test"; nocase;resp: rst_all;) After this, when I lauch an telnet (port 25) session to an SMTP server from my windows client, the alert gets generated. But there is no reset. Then I tried the
telnet from a linux PC - this time it gets reset.
WHen I check the packets sent using ethereal, I observe that whereas from a windows PC the data "test" comes as four packets, from a linux PC "test" comes as a data of single packet. I guess this is a problem with the WinXP version of Telnet client.

None of this is a problem in a telnet client Technicaly the windows XP one is doing the right thing and disabling nagle..

The reason it's "not working" is you're just unaware of the limitations of tcp resets.

1) tcp reset is a race between snort and the host that you aren't sending a reset to. Whoever gets the packet to the host snort is trying to reset wins the race.

2) flexresp is only likely to win this race if there's a significant latency somewhere between the hosts you are desynchronizing. tcp resets work VERY poorly within a lan.

3) It's pointless to send resets to an attacker. If they are smart, they'll be filtering them. Reset your local server or client instead. Rst_all doesn't hurt, but realize that the one sent to the attack originator won't do much good unless the attacker is automated or stupid.

4) Smart attackers can generally evade flexresp by cheating and starting the race early. non-nagled tcp connections (ie: telnet) are actually likely to evade it by the natural patterns of their traffic. Flexresp2 makes this harder, and will generally deal with nagle issues, but a clever attacker can still have some chance of winning regardless.