Snort mailing list archives

RE: running oinkmaster - Error: unable to download.....

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:54:01 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Snortty [mailto:cwcwcwg () yahoo com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 10:28 AM
To: Andreas_Östling; Schmehl, Paul L
Cc: Snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] running oinkmaster - Error: unable
to download.....

I think it's the FW and Proxy related. I tried below
(using IP instead of www.snort.org):

You're not resolving hostnames, which indicates a problem with DNS.  If you're using a unix system, check the
/etc/resolv.conf file.  It should have the IP addresses of the DNS servers that you use to resolve hostnames to IPs.

# wget -r http://199.107.65.177

--16:13:26--  http://199.107.65.177/
           => `199.107.65.177/index.html'
Connecting to 199.107.65.177:80...

--------------------

Now, it dose not say "host not found", which indicated
the proxy related issues.

But can't connected to www.snort.org, so I checked
firewall log, it did show drops http.

Questions:
where to check the proxy set up for my snort box?

What OS are you using?  What even makes you think you're using a proxy?  It sounds like you need to open up your
firewall enough to allow DNS and outgoing TCP connections.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member