Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it really a HUB?

From: "Marc Quibell" <mquibell () fbfs com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:26:01 -0600

I believe what I am saying is close to what you are saying. In your example,
where the MAC address is unknown, the switch will only learn the MAC address if
it is first transmitted by the computer. The MAC is then learned and kept in the
MAC table until the cache times out, if it does at all.

I'm thinking that what happens is that if a MAC is not in the cache, the switch
broadcasts the traffic. I'm thinking that it is very rare for a MAC address to
not be in a MAC table, since usually all computers must transmit something first
before receiving. What with DHCP, netbios, DNS, WINS...etc updating...etc.

Based on this, the box that is "listening" will only receive initial
MAC-broadcasts, and other switch-related traffic such as 802.1q stuff, ARP
who-has'es, not any real usable data. At least this is how I understand your
question. I hope I understand it right...

Cheese!

Marc

ktk () enterprise bidmc harvard edu on 10/28/2003 03:11:26 PM