Snort mailing list archives

RE: Dropping packets why?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:45:20 -0600

--On Monday, October 27, 2003 6:50 PM -0500 Elijah Savage <esavage () digitalrage org> wrote:

Thank you all for reading my post but it seems you all did not read it
and looked at my measly hardware and wanted to jump all over it. But
this is for a cable internet connection 3megabitsDown/512up This machine
should be way more than enough to keep up considering some of the
hardware I have seen on some of the connections they are using.

It has to be a config problem.

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt to be a little more accurate in your description of the problem. Above you tell us you have a 3MBps down connection whereas in your first post you said you had "a 15mb pipe to the Interne". That's five times the pipe you now claim to have. Makes it a bit tough for the average, non-ESP, reader to diagnose.

I guess my first question would be, IIRC, SMP is still bleeding edge in FreeBSD, is it not? I suspect your problem is related to the kernel that you've built, but without more info it's really hard to say. You might try tweaking some of the kern. parameters.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member