Snort mailing list archives

Re: OT: Spam Mail on List?

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:17:37 -0500

[ please obey reply-to ]

"Marc Quibell" <mquibell () fbfs com> writes:

I must say that if I had the choice (which I do not) of displaying
my email addy in harvest-able digest, just so that other users can
use it, versus hiding my email addy, I think I'd want to hide mine.

As long as the hiding leaves it in a human readable format and follows
some easy algorithm, Mark_Andrews () isc ! org for example, it will be
easily parsable.

It's just an arms race.  That being said, anyone can put up an archive
of a public mailing list and saving us all from harvesting isn't going
to happen.

It pretty damn easy to write a piece of software to subscribe a
spammer's box to a mailing list in digest format and harvest there.

As long as there is not a whitelist+cryptographic signature style
email communication format, there's going to be spam.

FYI, I was impressed a little bit friday when a spam got past my
bayesian classier stuff by having 2 paragraphs of The Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy...

I just prefer that unless there's something clearly better, we stick
to the problem as it's existed.  That being said, I really don't care
enough to mail a mailing list archive either way and I leave it up to
the owner's to decide what they like.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
To err is human, to moo bovine.